2022 Positions at Historic Dey Mansion Museum, Passaic County
SALARY / HOURS:
$15.00-$20.00 per hour
Thursday – Sunday / 9:00am – 5:00pm
Seasonal (6 month position)
Under the direction of the Director of the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs and Museum Curator, the primary function of this position is to assist in the planning and execution of daily museum functions; including but not limited to exhibit installations, preservation of existing collections, guiding visitors and performing clerical and other museum-related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Welcomes visitors and responds to questions about the history of the site and its programming;
- Help prepare museum exhibits and collections for public display;
- Catalog and conduct inventories of collections (including photographing and researching objects);
- Assist in the implementation of grant-funded projects;
- Plans, organizes, and implements special events and exhibits at the historic site;
- Assist in the management of daily operations of the historic site;
- Develops, plans, and organizes promotional material for activities and events in conjunction with local community organizations, the media, and the County’s Division of Tourism Coordinator;
- Conducts off-site programming and presentations as needed;
- Assists visitors with gift shop purchases and maintains inventory levels;
- Balances cash register receipts and makes daily deposit; and
- Regular duties may include reports on the conditions of property and museum space; writing and researching, editing promotional material and brochures, coordinating with other historic sites and partners, registering guests for events, and compiling data on attendance and visitor experience.
- Enrolled in/or graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in history, anthropology, archeology, art history, museum studies, or a related field;
- Previous experience in museums, cultural programs, art spaces, etc. preferred but not required;
- Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Office, Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator;
- Working weekends are required for this position. Depending on the event taking place, some nights may be required. Candidates will not be considered otherwise;
- Passaic County residency is preferred
- New Jersey residency is required.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines, which include a computer, calculator, typewriter, etc.;
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time;
- Must be able to operate a variety of visual and audio aids;
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects, up to 30 lbs. Physical demands are for light work.